Why is UV Disinfection useful?
As an alternative or supplement to traditional chemical disinfectants, an ultraviolet disinfection system offers several operating advantages. UV disinfection systems are safe and easy to operate. In addition, the use of UV does not inject any taste or odour into the processed water, nor does it produce any undesirable by-products.
There are no micro-organisms known to be resistant to UV light. UV is known to be highly effective against bacteria against bacteria, viruses, algae, moulds, and yeasts. In practice, bacteria and viruses are the causes of most waterborne pathogenic diseases. Of these enteric viruses, hepatitis virus and Legionella pneumophila are readily eliminated by UV treatment. For most microorganisms, the removal efficiency of UV for microbiological contaminants such as bacteria and virus generally exceeds 99.99.
It is recommended that UV systems should be installed with pre-filtration to maintain effectiveness as sediment and other contaminants in the water can create a “shadow” which prevents the UV rays from reaching and disinfecting the harmful microorganisms.